Prof. Kathryn Lafrenz Samuels
University of Maryland, Department of Anthropology, United States
Participates in 2 items
Kathryn Lafrenz Samuels is an Assistant Professor of Anthropology at the University of Maryland, with expertise in cultural heritage, environmental anthropology, political anthropology, and international development. Her work examines the rise of heritage management in the transnational sphere, to highlight the mobilization of cultural heritage for international development, human rights, democracy building, and global climate change mitigation and adaptation. She is co-editor of Heritage Keywords: Rhetoric and Redescription in Cultural Heritage (2015, University Press of Colorado) and Making Roman Places: Past and Present (2012, JRA Supplement Series). Lafrenz Samuels’ work has been supported by the American Council of Learned Societies, the American Institute of Maghrib Studies, the US-Norway Fulbright Foundation, and the National Science Foundation. She received her PhD in Anthropology from Stanford University.
Sessions in which Prof. Kathryn Lafrenz Samuels participates
- Critical Heritage Theory: Foundational Cores and Innovative Edges Concordia, John Molson School of Business Building (MB) - MB 3.435
- 9:00 - 15:00 | 6 hours
- The field of heritage has emerged as a key site of reflection. Influenced by shifts in the academy (e.g., post-colonial, post-structural and femini...
- Regular session
- 09.00 Ethnoheritage: Heritage Theory from the American Anthropological Perspective
- Participant Prof. Kathryn Lafrenz Samuels (University of Maryland, Department of Anthropology, United States) |
- 9:00 - 9:30 | 30 minutes Part of: Critical Heritage Theory: Foundational Cores and Innovative Edges
- The discipline of anthropology has been home to some of the most productive elaborations of cultural heritage research in the United States. In ...
Sessions in which Prof. Kathryn Lafrenz Samuels attends
- 09.20 Making Sense of the Future: Valuing Industrial Heritage in the Anthropocene
- Participant Dr. Inger Birkeland (University College of Southeast Norway) |
- 9:00 - 9:30 | 30 minutes Part of: Heritage Futures / Utopian Currents II
- This paper will deal with the problem of making sense of the future and how it relates to heritage-making: how are particular images of the futu...
- Keynote: Il n'est de patrimoine qu'au futur...| Only in the future will it be heritage... (Xavier Greffe)
- Signup required Concordia, John Molson School of Business Building (MB) - MB 1.210
- 15:30 - 17:00 | 1 hour 30 minutes
- Le patrimoine fait aujourd’hui l’objet d’attentions autant que d’agressions et de destructions. Cela peut s’expliquer par les difficultés de son id...
- Keynote with simultaneous translation / Conférence avec traduction simultanée