Don Lafreniere is Associate Professor of Geography and GIS and Department Chair in the Industrial Heritage and Archaeology Program at Michigan Technological University, USA. His research interests centre on creating public-participatory GIS methodologies for recreating historical industrial environments and spatializing populations. He has published extensively on topics such as 19th century social mobility, segregation, industrial worker migration, industrial heritage, and daily lives in industrial cities. His recent work includes creating historical spatial data infrastructures for industrial heritage preservation, interpretation, and education and using historical geospatial methods for uncovering the relationships between the built and social environments and life course health and wellbeing.
Our major project is the Keweenaw Time Traveler Project which is mapping all people and places in the former copper mining region of Upper Michigan from 1880-1950. You can access the project at www.mapyourhistory.org
Sessions in which Don Lafreniere participates
- Big-data geospatial heritage infrastructures and industrial heritage
- Signup required UQAM, pavillon J.-A. De Sève (DS) - DS-R910 (access from the metro floor)
- 11:00 AM - 12:30 PM | 1 hour 30 minutes
- The use of industrial heritage is a profoundly important factor in the process of creating a sustainable economic, social, and political future ...
Sessions in which Don Lafreniere attends
- Preservation and transformation of historic waterways: a challenge (III). A tour of the Soulanges Canal
- Signup required UQAM, pavillon J.-A. De Sève (DS) - DS Registration table (meeting point)
- 1:00 PM - 7:00 PM | 6 hours
- The Soulanges Canal is an infrastructure, located on the north shore of the St. Lawrence, which was opened to maritime traffic in 1900, succeedi...
MRC de Vaudreuil-SoulangesSponsor
- Public lecture: Trajectories of deindustrialization and the memoryscapes of industrial pasts – Towards global perspectives
- Available Sold out Ticket sales have finished Ticket sales haven't started yet You've purchased a ticket UQAM, pavillon J.-A. De Sève (DS) - DS-R510
- 1:30 PM - 3:00 PM | 1 hour 30 minutes
- This lecture will argue that the landscapes of industrial heritage that can be found in different parts of the world ar...
- Keynote with simultaneous translation / Conférence avec traduction simultanée