Mathilde Macaux is a fifth-year PhD student and teaching assistant at the History of Art and Archaeology Department of Namur University. Since 2017, she is conducting a doctoral research that investigates the adaptive reuse of rural monastic sites in Belgium in the 19th and 20th centuries with a particular focus on sites that have been converted into industrial facilities. She takes a multidisciplinary approach that encompasses the fields of history, history of architecture, archaeology and geography (Historical-GIS). She has recently been involved in an archeological, architectural and historical operation financed by the Walloon Heritage Agency (AWaP), led in the former Priory of Oignies (Aiseau-Presles, Hainaut). Within the frame of this mission, she was aiming to reconstruct the historical, architectural and landscape past of the site in the 19th and 20th centuries, when the Saint Mary of Oignies glass and chemical products factories occupied it.
She defended her M.A. thesis, entitled “Study of historic gardens of Belgian Cistercian abbeys from the 12th century to the 18th century (…)” at the Catholic University of Louvain in 2014 ; thesis for which she was awarded the 2015 Walloon Heritage Institute Master Thesis Prize. Two years later, a paper related to her M.A. dissertation subject was issued (Bulletin de la Commission royale des Monuments, Sites et Fouilles). She has furthermore been member of the scientific, steering and editorial committee of Stone by Stone II international conference held in Namur/Dinant in December 2018, of which proceedings will be edited in autumn 2022. In 2020, she published a paper about the industrial reuse of the Abbey of Moulins (Anhée, Namur) (Bulletin de la Commission royale des Monuments, Sites et Fouilles). In 2021, she presented with supervisor Claudine Houbart a paper related to her thesis project at the European Architectural HIstory Network Thematic Conference "Architecture and Endurance" (Heritagization and Endurance: False Friends? The Case of ′′Industrial Abbeys′′ in Belgium). She also co-signed several articles related to the Priory of Oignies and wrote the paper "Reallocating for better governance: from abbey palace to employer's castle" (Congrès WAPI, in-press). She is member of national and international associations related to heritage protection and enhancement (International Council on Monuments and Sites (ICOMOS), Société archéologique de Namur (SAN), Les Amis de l'église Saint-Loup à Namur asbl (ASL), Floreffe Histoire, Culture et Tourisme asbl).
List of publications on Academia.edu (https://unamur.academia.edu/MathildeMacaux?from_navbar=true)
Sessions in which Mathilde Macaux participates
- “Industrial Abbey” in 21st century Belgium: issues and prospects of a forgotten heritage UQAM, pavillon J.-A. De Sève (DS) - DS-1570
- Speaker Mathilde Macaux (University of Namur (UNamur)) |
- 12:00 PM - 12:20 PM | 20 minutos Part of: Industrial landscape: a resilient palimpsest of memory II
- The rural landscape of Belgium abounds with ancient monasteries not far from which you can perceive, occasionally hidden under the vegetation, some...
Sessions in which Mathilde Macaux attends
- Tour: The Lachine Canal with Heritage Montreal
- Signup required
- 10:30 AM - 12:30 PM | 2 hours
- Explore the banks of the Lachine Canal, the cradle of industry in Canada. Benefiting from access to hydraulic power, maritime and rail tran...
- Opening ceremony
- Signup required UQAM, Cœur des sciences - Agora Hydro-Québec
- 5:00 PM - 7:00 PM | 2 hours
- Join the conference organisers and TICCIH board members for a welcome cocktail and some festive words of introduction, in the former forge of th...
- Public lecture: Le Grand Montréal industriel d’hier à demain
- Tickets required Sold out Ticket sales have finished Ticket sales haven't started yet You've purchased a ticket UQAM, pavillon J.-A. De Sève (DS) - DS-R510
- 5:30 PM - 7:00 PM | 1 hour 30 minutos
- Si la vallée du canal de Lachine a été le berceau de l’industrialisation canadienne, la géographie industrielle métropolitaine ne s’y est pas co...
- Keynote with simultaneous translation / Conférence avec traduction simultanée
- Discover the shores of industrial Montreal by river boat
- Tickets required Sold out Ticket sales have finished Ticket sales haven't started yet You've purchased a ticket UQAM, pavillon J.-A. De Sève (DS) - DS Registration table (meeting point)
- 3:15 PM - 5:00 PM | 1 hour 45 minutos
- This tour offers an excursion on a privatized deck of
- Tour: A glimpse at Montreal's Centre-Sud Neigborhood
- Signup required UQAM, pavillon J.-A. De Sève (DS) - DS Registration table (meeting point)
- 3:30 PM - 5:30 PM | 2 hours
- The South Central district is a former industrial and working-class neighbourhood with a rich and unique heritage. The visit will allow us to di...
- Social gathering at Ecomusée du fier monde and launch of the congress' souvenir stamp
- Signup required Écomusée du fier monde - Piscine
- 5:30 PM - 7:30 PM | 2 hours
- Lunch : barbecue event with Tout un Fumoir
- 12:00 PM - 1:00 PM | 1 hour
- To keep you in shape for the TICCIH General Meeting, we are offering a special lunch, prepared on site on a smokehouse by Ron Wiser. Her...
- Closing dinner
- Tickets required Sold out Ticket sales have finished Ticket sales haven't started yet You've purchased a ticket Usine C - Hall
- 6:30 PM - 9:30 PM | 3 hours
- Come and share the good times of the congress and celebrate your scientific and professional discoveries in a former fruit jam factory, Usine C,...