My research interests lie mainly in the critical appraisal of the commodification of cultural heritage resources, the rendering of places into destinations and, more broadly, the political and cultural discourses underpinning commerce. This is expressed principally in my publications examining the politics of 'Western' representation of Islamic culture and destinations, in which I adopt a Foucauldian/post-Saidian approach with notable contributions in the journals Theory, Culture & Society and Environment and Planning A. I am involved in an ongoing project examining the commercialisation of Ottoman cultural heritage in SE Europe and am an external partner in SOAS-University of London's interdisciplinary Centre for Ottoman Studies. My ongoing activity in broader contexts includes exploring the culturally contingent notion of 'authenticity' in heritage consumption and the commercialisation of 'real and imagined pasts' in ancestral tourism.
translation_fallback: Sessions in which Derek Bryce translation_fallback: participates
Translation_fallback: jueves 1 septiembre, 2022
- All the Pink Houses: pastel gentrification and international pastiche UQAM, pavillon J.-A. De Sève (DS) - DS-R520
- Speaker Elizabeth Carnegie (Northumbria University) | Presenter Derek Bryce (University of Strathclyde) |
- translation_fallback: 9:00 AM - translation_fallback: 9:20 AM | 20 minutos Translation_fallback: part of: Is industrial heritage an agent of gentrification I?
- This paper critically assesses the phenomenon of rejuvenated post-industrial and urban spaces through the theoretical lenses of gentrification and ...
translation_fallback: Sessions in which Derek Bryce translation_fallback: attends
- Public lecture: Industrial heritage as agent of gentrification?
- translation_fallback: Available translation_fallback: Sold out translation_fallback: Ticket sales have finished translation_fallback: Ticket sales haven't started yet translation_fallback: You've purchased a ticket UQAM, pavillon J.-A. De Sève (DS) - DS-R510
- translation_fallback: 5:30 PM - translation_fallback: 7:00 PM | 1 translation_fallback: hour 30 minutos
- Efforts to preserve industrial heritage occurs in a socio-economic and political context. But what is being pres...
- Keynote with simultaneous translation / Conférence avec traduction simultanée