Victor Humanes Fuente
PhD Student at Michigan Technological University (Houghton, MI) working on dendrochronology, stable isotopes and climatology. The aim of my research is to develop a multi-century minimum winter temperature reconstruction for the southern sore of Lake Superior (MI), which would represent one of the first annually resolved proxy records for winter temperature anywhere in the world. This is carried out through the construction of a tree ring width chronology from white pine (Pinus strobus) logs sunken in small lakes adjacent to Lake Superior (< 4 km) and posterior analysis of C and O stable isotopes for select samples. White pines growing in these sites have proven to have high accuracy in reconstructing minimum winter temperatures in this area through the annual variability of C and O stable isotopes in their wood (Voelker et al. 2019), as a result of the influence of Lake Superior as a temperature regulator during the trees' early growing season.
My previous experience as a researcher started in Valparaiso (Chile), where I carried out my master's thesis centered in dendrochronology under Dr. Ariel Muñoz's supervision, with who I kept working afterwards as a research assistant in related topics.
After some years working in Spain and Australia, I moved in 2021 to New York, where I started working on my current project wit Dr. Steven Voelker at SUNY-ESF, having transferred to MTU recently to follow my studies.
Sessions in which Victor Humanes Fuente participates
- Progress in developing tree-ring growth and stable isotope records of extreme winter climate anomalies across North America Coeur des Sciences, Sherbrooke Building, UQAM - Salle polyvalente (SH-4800)
- Speaker Steven Voelker (Michigan Technological University) | Presenter Victor Humanes Fuente (Michigan Technological University) |
- 12:30 - 14:00 | 1 hour 30 minutes Part of: Poster Session
- Trees do not grow during winter where freezing temperatures occur regularly. Therefore, much of what has been learned from tree-ring data about ...
Sessions in which Victor Humanes Fuente attends
- The other Montréal. From the River to the Mountain; a first discovery of the city
- Available Sold out Ticket sales have finished Ticket sales haven't started yet You've purchased a ticket Coeur des Sciences, Sherbrooke Building, UQAM - Salle polyvalente (SH-4800)
- 17:40 - 19:30 | 1 hour 50 minutes
- (by bus, max 92 people)